Find Out More About Our History.
Market Drayton’s first Methodists held their meetings in private houses in 1799, in places then called Tinkers Lane and Ranters Gullet. A visiting Archdeacon of Shrewsbury at that time wrote “there are many church-going Methodists here, probably some hundreds”.
It was 1807 when the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built on land between Keelings Lane and Street Lane, (Salisbury Road and Shrewsbury Road now). Ten years later it was enlarged on land bought for a total of £10. More seating was added in 1842 by building a gallery. The building had served many purposes during the 172 years, as a chapel, Sunday school,and Wesleyan day-school, continuing as Sunday school and ancillary to the new Chapel “across the road” from 1866.
The 1866 Chapel was described as a more elaborate building and much more ornate than the first chapel. Memorial Stones were laid on 25th August 1864, and completion celebrated in 1866. It was set back in its own grounds, and a flourishing cedar-tree dominated the front area of lawn and shrubs.
One main alteration had been made in 1888 when a two-storey block replaced the original single-storey vestry. As recently as 1974 this block was demolished to make way for the new building comprising entrance porch, foyer, classroom/minister’s vestry, kitchen, lounge and large hall. The Sunday School and Church were united on the one site in 1975 when the new annexe was opened.
On Monday 25th November 1981 a violent wind caused irreparable damage to the church. The decision was taken in 1982 to demolish, and aim to build a new church in five years. The Opening Ceremony and Evening Service of Thanksgiving was celebrated only 3 years later on 28th September 1985. It was also a celebration of the coming-together of both Market Drayton Methodist Societies into the one Church, and enabled the Frogmore Road Church building to be sold.
Today’s church is designed for all-age worship; it is warm and light, with comfortable chairs. It is on two levels; the raised section with rear door access, is wheelchair friendly. The pipe organ was designed and built by the then-resident Minister. The Cross in the large circular window is an impressive and prominent feature. It reminds us of the central element of the gospel we proclaim. It is as clearly visible to passers-by as it is to our worshipping community.
MDMC Loving, Caring and Serving in the name of Jesus
Market Drayton Methodist Church, Shrewsbury Road, Market Drayton, Shropshire, TF9 3DL